Brand Copywriter (Freelance)
Friday is seeking a Brand Copywriter (Freelance) to translate complex ideas into compelling brand narratives, action-inducing headlines and marketing material for clients working to transform the way we learn, work and connect. The successful candidate will work closely with strategists and designers to ensure their work meets business needs and supports the larger creative vision for each project.
Friday is a multidisciplinary consulting firm working at the intersection of learning, opportunity, and community. We are strategists, innovators, and designers who apply creativity and strategic thinking to solve pressing challenges, uncover new opportunities, and build the capacity of leaders. Our clients are leading companies, nonprofits, foundations, and governments working across education, economic opportunity, and community development.
- You will concept and execute on brand messaging deliverables including manifestos, taglines, mission and vision statements, tone and personality guidelines, and elevator pitches.
- You will work with the creative team to develop concepts for digital experiences and marketing campaigns and will be responsible for the messaging that supports them including copy for websites, print and digital advertisements.
- You will present work to clients, providing compelling reasons for creative decisions.
Qualifications & Skills
- You have a portfolio of previous work that displays an ability to turn an idea into effective communications, and includes experience working with nonprofits, foundations and/or governments.
- You have proven success creating brand messaging and advertising copy, preferably in an agency setting.
- A well written About Us statement gets you just as excited as campaign headlines.
- You are a strategic thinker that understands how to design creative solutions to solve business challenges.
- You can articulate your concepts with confidence and integrity to win the hearts and minds of our clients.
- You are passionate about education, economic opportunity and community.
- You are innately curious, staying up on social trends and considering their implications for your work.
- You are both a big thinker and an attention-to-detail executor; you are able to manage multiple projects at a time, keeping yourself organized and on task.
- You are able to quickly pivot as strategic direction changes, accept feedback and critique, and enjoy building off of others’ ideas.
- You thrive in an entrepreneurial, self-directed work environment and are capable of managing relationships with team members working remotely.
We believe everyone should have the opportunity to realize their potential, apply their talents, and shape the place they live for good. Our core values guide our interactions with one another and inform how we work with clients and partners:
- We’re Flexible. Everybody’s Friday is a little different – just like our team and clients’ needs. That’s why we prioritize flexible schedules and remote work. And we offer our clients multiple ways to work with us: weekly sprints, workshops and trainings, multi-month projects, and long-term partnerships.
- We’re Focused. We seize every week as a possibility for transformation. At the start of the week we organize and iterate; by Friday we present, and celebrate. At the end of each week, we look back and ask ourselves: Did we make a difference?
- We’re Future-focused. Impact doesn’t stop with Friday. We build the capacity of our clients to sustain change long term. We create enduring strategies, tools, and programs and ensure our clients are equipped to implement change. And we believe in empowering our team to achieve their goals both in and out of work – during the week and the weekend.
- We’re Fun. Friday is business at heart with a weekend’s soul. We are passionate about social change and bring our whole selves to every engagement. We are both partner and friend, colleague and confidant.
- Position type: Independent Contractor
- Start date: August 2021
- Location: Remote, with preference for those living in California or mid-tier cities around the United States (Austin, Nashville, Denver, Indianapolis, etc.)
If this sounds like the right fit for your expertise and interests, please email email@example.com with subject line “Brand Copywriter | Your Name,” a brief but personalized cover letter, your resume, and 3 work/writing samples. No phone calls please.
Friday is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Recruiting staff to create an inclusive organization is a priority, and we encourage applicants from all backgrounds. Candidates are evaluated solely on their qualifications to perform the work required.